Friday, June 21, 2019

My Family Involvement

Written by Lisa W.

I brought over half of my family with me on this mission trip. Only my daughter Lindsey and my husband Jeff stayed home. I wish Lindsey could have joined us but she’s in her first semester of the PA program at Carroll University. She came with me on the last mission trip. We had such a memorable time! She’s so disappointed. It to be here this time.
Jon, Olivia, Grace and Lisa
Olivia and Justin V. in Pharmacy
Olivia (my oldest daughter), Grace (my youngest daughter), and my son Jon (the youngest of all) accompanied me this time. It’s Olivia’s 3rd medical mission trip and Jon and Grace’s first. Olivia is amazing. She really wanted to work in the capacity of a PA but she only recently acquired her certification - not in time to have her registered as a PA for the mission. So she works the Pharmacy. The Pharmacy is a challenging place, located on the floor below the clinic. Patients visit the pharmacy after the visit and Olivia must fill their prescriptions then explain to the patients how to take them.
Many people here don’t know how to read so the explanation is “muy importante”. She has no translator and so uses her seven years of high school Spanish to communicate with them. She amazes me. Never rattled, always prepared, always thinking on her feet. It’s hot in the pharmacy with little wind flow. We try to keep a constant supply of baggies of the most used medicines. The pharmacy is too busy to hand out the parasite medication but every person and members of their family need it. We don’t do any fecal testing. We just know they are very susceptible and need the meds. So we have a separate station in the clinic to hand out the mebendazole. Usually Nico handles the parasite clinic. Today though Nico is working with the Vitamin A drops and eye glass stations so Justin will help Olivia in the clinic hand out the parasite medication. 

I wondered how Jon would participate in the clinic. He was a little leery about the trip - didn’t know what his role would be, didn’t know if he’d know anyone, etc. I’d have to say that Jon has surprised me the most. He’s been a floater assistant helping out wherever necessary.

Inside of Plaza Vea
He’s gone in a moto to the Plaza Vea, a local warehouse similar to a small Sam's Club, to purchase groceries. He helped Michael with teaching the school kids the Korean marshal arts of Tae Kwon Do. Jon turned red as all the teenage girls swooned over him! He’s pretty popular with them. 

Jon and Michael Teaching Self-defense
 Michael and Jon are two peas in a pod. They work well together. Both are kind souls who love to help others. I’m so glad we have the opportunity to get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment