Tuesday, June 18, 2019

First Full Day of Clinic Went by in a Flash!

Written by Dr. Lisa W.

The first full day of clinic went by in a flash. In total, we saw around 150 patients from all walks of life. The saddest being a small baby with congenital brain damage who was experiencing breathing difficulties. The prognosis doesn’t look good. Please pray for baby Valentine.

In my small corner of the world, my daughter Grace and I treated around 25 people. Grace was my interpreter, my assistant and right hand man. She would take the history and follow up by asking the patient any questions I might still have. She would help with the TENS unit and orthopedic supports. She would choose appropriate stretches and exercises for the patient and convey this to Denise as she walked them over for PT. Grace was amazingly helpful.


I had a full schedule. Many people here experience musculoskeletal problems. They work in factories, fishing wharfs, and drive motos. They take care of their parents, moving them from beds to chairs to the bathroom. The care for sick children doing the same. They hurt. Especially their necks and backs. Their muscles are tight and full of knots. The chiropractic treatment is give to them is usually their first experience. Most people feel immediate relief to varying extents.

The first patient we saw had never been to a chiropractor. She takes care of her father who is laid up in bed and her sock daughter. Grace explained that with the treatment she would hear “crujido” or clicking and that this was normal. I adjusted her full spine. After her adjustment she sat up and started crying. Grace looked at me and I looked at her. As Maria spoke to Grace, I could see Grace’s face relax and I realized Maria our patient was thanking us for giving her relief. She asked if she could bring her daughter back the next day. She hugged us and kissed us as she left. That was the way it went all day. We received hug after hug, kiss after kiss. All patients said they felt “mejor”/ better. It was a fulfilling day. 


Grace had some fun with my Spanish. The Holy Spirit did not gift me with the knowledge of languages. I can say the same word twenty different times and each time it would sound different. The Spanish word for up is arriba. Grace was amused that I couldn’t remember that for anything. She would have to remind me constantly that Aruba was an island. :)

For lunch we had another amazing Peruvian meal. Fettuccini noodles with pesto and beef in gravy.

By the end of the day, my body ached. Standing on the concrete floor, using a massage table instead of a lower chiropractic table, and the physical effort required to perform adjustments left me a wilted flower. I was ready for the day to be over.

At the end of clinic, we gathered in the living room of the school next to the kitchen. This is where we gather when we aren’t in the clinic upstairs. We were served sandwiches and chips, a welcome light dinner. After dinner, we divided more vitamins and medicine into baggies for the next day. The glass of wine helped the task lighter. And the many hands made the task faster.

We finally left for our hotel at around 10 pm. As we walked though a city courtyard and groups of teens performed dancing routines for us. We stopped to admire them for a few minutes. So friendly here. So kind.

We showered and I turned off the lights and feel into a deep sleep. Six am would be here in a wink. 


1 comment:

  1. Lisa, you get to provide immediate relief. What a gift you (and Grace) are to these hardworking people.

    ReplyDelete