Thursday, June 20, 2019

Goal for the Mission Trip

Written by Jordan V.

Hello world, my name is Jordan and this is my second mission trip ever. Before the start of this mission trip, I had a couple of people tell me that mission trips have a tendency to not have a real impact on communities; they claimed this is due to the many missions that don't teach the individuals how to help themselves once missionaries leave.

Needless to say, that quickly became my first fear. I was afraid that I may end up cooking for the group the whole time, or helping people who appeared to be able to help themselves, or that our work would not be long lasting. On my previous mission trip, I experienced both the good and bad of helping others. One family desperately needed our help, and the work we did would last for years. With my second location, I started to feel as though my help wasn't completely necessary, especially in comparison. 

My goal for this trip was to compare a little less and pray that each individual's intentions were pure. While I have experienced a few individuals becoming a bit overexcited about glasses who didn't necessarily need them, I have truly only seen our work do good. People have been taught how to wrap their own wounds, eat healthier, practice better hygiene, and have been provided resources for further support. 

On top of it all, the people of Piura are the kindest I have ever met. I have been showered with hugs and kisses, given gifts of local fruits, and more. Not only have they given me these things, but I have been gifted with the gratefulness that comes with knowing that my help is truly needed and appreciated. I love this city and all of its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment